Your business can run smoothly and grow while you snorkel with your family in the Maldives.
As Mike Michalowicz, author of Profit First and Fix This Next, said in his influential business strategy book, The Pumpkin Plan,
“You didn’t start your business because you wanted to blend in, make enough to get by and save enough to pay for the nursing home. You went into business because you wanted to grow something amazing, something that would dramatically change the quality of your life, something that could make a difference in the world.”
Michalowicz, M. (2012). The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field.
However, many entrepreneurs and freelancers feel like they are
- Doing all the right things, but their marketing is falling on the wrong ears.
Where do I find self-replicating customers that I love?
- Under pressure to lower prices from clients, prospects, and competitors.
Why should they pay me more than a generic megacorp?
- Unable to accept more business because they only have 112 hours in a week.
I am my business. How can it survive without me?
If any of this sounds familiar to you, then your business is stalling your lifestyle goals.
Understand why your business is dragging so you can fix it.
Your marketing may be generating leads who are not a good fit for you (tire kickers). Or, you may be looking in the wrong places to find good leads. And, even if you are getting customers, some may be creating more problems than profits.
In addition, the best customers in the world cannot give you exploding growth if you do not have the right systems.
- If you don’t know who your best, most profitable clients are, and what they want from you, then your marketing will not attract your best customers.
- If you cannot express what makes you unique, then your customers will pressure you to compete on price.
- If you do not have the systems in place that enable your business to deliver value consistently without your direct involvement, then you are stuck trading dollars for hours. You cannot grow beyond the number of hours you, the owner, can work.
However, Mike Michalowicz teaches how to grow an extraordinary business like growing an award-winning pumpkin. That is, how you can start with a winning seed (your Sweet Spot) to experience explosive business growth.
Once you uncover your Sweet Spot and nurture it properly, then your business can have explosive growth with less work from you.
After you discover your Sweet Spot you can:
- Easily attract your ideal clients to your business.
- Relieve the pressure to lower your prices and offer premium products.
- Grow without demanding additional owner work hours.
Your Winning Seed (Sweet Spot) is the intersection of your Top Clients, Your Unique Offering, and Your Underlying Systems.
How to discover your Sweet Spot in 3 steps.
Mike Michalowicz published The Pumpkin Plan in 2012 after developing and refining the strategy for his own successful businesses. Since then, Provendus Group has certified Pumpkin Plan Growth Strategists in the USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, and Mexico to help businesses achieve explosive growth with these tools:
- Identify your Top Clients
- Make a list of all of your clients in order of who spends the most in your business.
- Next, grade each client on how easy they are to work with, whether they refer business to you, and whether they pay on time.
- Identify the top 20% of your clients and define your market niche.
- Identify your Unique Offering
- Interview your Top Clients.
- Ask them what stands out about your business and what they think is missing in your industry.
- Define a Unique Offering that matches what you do best with what your best clients care about the most.
- Systematize Your Offering
- List all the tasks that you are doing yourself because it is easier than delegating.
- Document the tasks that don’t need to be done by you and delegate them.
- Finally, identify opportunities for automation and implement them.